My practice explores digital video’s ability to resonate physical texture, questioning the mediums aesthetic mark making qualities and its potential to ‘represent’. These visual enquiries were born out of a comment made (whilst I was on residency in the Peak District) by an audio visual technician in the summer of 2011; he said simply ‘Your work is very textural’.
My pieces are constructed through the multiple layering of self- recorded digital video, one completed creation can contain thousands of layers of moving imagery. To me a single piece of video is a dynamic complex aesthetic brushstroke of changing tone over time. Repetitious structures and tonal flows within natural landscapes forms the basis of my aesthetic output. Intrigued by conversations between; the ordered, binary consistency of digital technologies against the more chaotic, dispersed depth of the organic. Gathering source material has evolved over the years; originally I would record using digital film out in the Essex countryside; since my move to West Wales there has been an increase of experimentations utilising screen-grab recording technology (see “An Oblong of Pink” and “A Streak of Yellow”) and portable android devices. Within these increasingly depressing, politically charged times new subtle conceptual dialogues within broader geopolitical discourses within societal digitalization.
– MA, Contemporary Art Practice: Moving Image, 2020-22 Royal College of Art, London, UK
– B.A.Hons, Fine Art, 2003 Colchester School of Art and Design, Essex, UK
– BTEC Foundation Diploma, Fine Art, 2000 Colchester School of Art and Design, Essex, UK
– Graduate Scholarship Award, 2003-2004, Cuckoo Farm Studios, Colchester.
– Grants For The Arts, Arts Council England Funding for ‘Fallen (The seasonal Sound of Senescence)’, residency, September 2010 – May 2011.
– Grants For The Arts, Arts Council England funding for ‘Butterfly Effect’ Sept 2014-Jan 2015, collaboration with sculptor Em Milner, facilitated by firstsite, working with SEN school children.
– RAMxRCA – Collaboration between Royal Academy of Music and Royal College of Art, 2019-2020
– Llosgi Gwynt (Burning Wind) – Aberystwyth Arts Centre, project exploring Wind Power in the Aberytstwyth area, 2015
– Power In The Land – Anglesey, project exploring the decommissioning of Wylfa nuclear power plant, 2014-2017
– Butterfly Effect – supported by firstsite and Arts Council England, 2014
– Artist In Residence – Aberystwyth Arts Centre, Wales, 3 months, 2013
– ‘Soundworks’ – ICA, Sound commission, 2012, nominated by firstsite.
– Re:place – Level Centre, Rowsley, Peak District 2011
– Fallen (Seasonal Sound of Senescence) – CADE (Centre for the Art and Design in the Environment), Writtle College, Residency 2010-11, Supported by Arts Council England (and by firstsite)
– Footfall – Cuckoo Farm Studios, Colchester, Residency 2010 15 Days 15 Artists, firstsite, Colchester, 2009
– ‘Journey To The Podium’ – working in collaboration with Olympian Chloe Rogers (Hockey); Essex County Council and 2012 Legacy Team, commission, 2009.
– Short listed for Loch Lomond and Trossach’s National Park Residency, 2013
Exhibition History (Group unless stated)
– WiP Show – Royal College of Art, London
– Power in the Land – Bay Art Gallery, Cardiff
– Power in the Land – Chapter, Cardiff (talk and screening) Phantom – Ruskin Gallery, Cambridge
– Power in the Land – Aberystwyth Arts Centre Power in the Land – Mostyn, Llandudno (screening).
– Power in the Land – Oriel Davies, Newtown
– Power In The Land – Modern Art Oxford (talk and screening)
– Shell – The Old Spode Works, Stoke-on-Trent
– Chelmsford: Still Loves Radio – Industrial Unit, Anne Knight Spaces, Chelmsford, Essex
– Butterfly Effect – firstsite, Colchester
– I Like This Place and Would Willingly Waste My Time In It – Aberystwyth Arts Centre, Aberystwyth, Wales
– Chateau Marmot, pop up restaurant, London
– Kast Et Blik – Kunstpakhuset, Ikast, Denmark
– Open Studios, End Of Residency Show, Aberystwyth Arts Centre Studios. 2012
– Journey To The Podium, Houses of Parliament, London.
– Soundworks, ICA, London.
– Last Friday Night Shorts, TAP, Southend-on-Sea
– Journey To The Podium, Gibbert Gallery, Southend on Sea
– 17 Days, The Brett Llewellyn Art Gallery, Alfred State college, Alfred NY, USA
– Journey to the Podium, Rayleigh Windmill, Essex
– Fallen, Writtle College, Essex, SOLO (End of residency, collaboration with plant scientists Ron Fryer and Margaret Somerville)
– 17 Days, Frostic Gallery, Kalamazoo, MI, USA
– Fallen pt 1, Writtle College, Essex SOLO
– Journey To The Podium, Gibberd Gallery, Harlow, Essex
– Media Façade Festival Europe, Collegium Hungaricum, Berlin, Germany
– Outside 2010, Collaboration with Danish artist Stephanie Donsø, Colchester
– Footfall, End of residency show, Benham Gallery, Colchester
– Journey To The Podium, WH Community Stadium, Colchester
– Untitled, 4day Exhibition, Kings Place Theatre, London, SOLO
– Swimming Without Water, Moseley Rd Baths, Birmingham
– 15 Days 15 Artists, firstsite, Colchester, Essex
– Exposure, TAP, Southend-on-Sea, Essex
– Open Studios, The Benham Gallery, Colchester, Essex
– Seing Sound, Bath University, Bath
– Essex Summer of Art, Hylands House, Chelmsford, Essex
– Transition, The Bargehouse, Oxo Tower Wharf, London
– Urban Screens Shorts, Rotterdam International Film Festival, Rotterdam, Netherlands
– Wide Open, Krannert Art Museum, Champaign, Illinois, USA
– Winter Lights, Benham Gallery, Colchester
– Over Bakke Og Dal…, Mosting Hus, Copenhagen, Denmark
– The Streaming Festival, Online, The Hague, Netherlands
– Urban Screens 08, Fed Square, Melbourne, Australia
– Sound:Space, Digital Media Centre, Bracknell, Berks
– Cuckoo Farm Studios Show, The Benham Gallery, Colchester
– Open Studios Exhibition, Life Gallery Cafe, Colchester
– Prelude Art Fair, Spitalfields, London
– Season 3, Outcasting.org, Online Video-art Exhibition
– Mona Lisa Project, Essex University Gallery, Colchester
– “Long Established Mediums Harmonize with New Media”, The Lloyd Gill Gallery, Weston-super-Mare, Somerset
– Cuckoo Farm Studios Show, Life Gallery, Colchester.
– “An Emotional Journey”, Mansfield Museum, Mansfield, Notts.
– “InterAlia”, Abandoned shop, Chelmsford, Essex.
– “Mini Print 2007”, Artlink Gallery, Hull, Kingston-upon-Hull.
– “Winter Lights”,The Benham Gallery, Colchester, Essex.
– Video Art Showcase 2007, St Mary, Key Arts, Ipswich, Suffolk.
– “Worldwide Moving Image 3”, E32, New York City, USA.
– “Enclosure”, The Benham Gallery, Colchester, Essex.
– “Replenish”, Saltburn Gallery, Saltburn-by-the-Sea, Redcar and Cleveland.
– Sonic Ripples, Hector Croot, Estate Agents, Colchester, Essex. SOLO
– Cuckoo Farm Studios Show, Naze Tower, Walton-on-the-Naze, Essex.
– Open Studios Exhibition, Life Gallery Cafe, Colchester, Essex.
– Open Studios, Cuckoo Farm Studios, Colchester, Essex.
– “Prelude” Art Fair, Spitalfields, London.
– “Winter Lights”, The Benham Gallery, Cuckoo Farm Studios, Essex.
– ‘Echoing Ur Sound’, Benham Gallery, Colchester, Essex. SOLO
– Open Studios Xmas Show, Life Gallery Café, Colchester, Essex.
– Open Studios Show, Life Gallery Café, Colchester, Essex.
– Cuckoo Farm Studios Show, The Babylon Gallery, Ely, Cambridgeshire.
– “Winter Lights”, The Benham Gallery, Colchester, Essex.
– Cuckoo Farm Studios Show, Life Gallery Cafe, Colchester, Essex.
– Cuckoo Farm Studios Show, The Pond Gallery,Snape Maltings, Suffolk.
– Cuckoo Farm studios Show, The Minories, Colchester, Essex.
– “Winter Lights”, The Benham Gallery, Colchester, Essex.
– Cuckoo Farm Studios Show, Inkpen Downie, Colchester, Essex.
– Sonic Circled, Benham Gallery, Colchester, Essex. SOLO
– Sonic Circles, Hay Gallery, Colchester, Essex. SOLO
– Outside, Cuckoo Farm Studios, Colchester, Essex.
– Print Show, The Benham Gallery, Colchester, Essex.
– Cuckoo Farm Studios Show, Buckenham Gallery, Southwold, Suffolk.
– Winter Lights, Benham Gallery, Colchester, Essex.
– Free Range, Graduate Show, Old Truman Brewery, London.
– Graduate Show, Colchester School of Art, Essex.
– Untitled Show, Life Gallery Cafe, Colchester, Essex.
Events organiser for Cuckoo Farm Studios 2011 Open Studios Show 2009, Cuckoo Farm Studios (alongside Hazel Harvey) Outside 09, Outdoor new media trail, supported by ACE and firstsite, 2009, as part of a cross mentorship scheme alongside Linda Theophilus. ‘Tiny Little Echoes’, Sound Curator, Artselector.com, Aug-Sept 2008 Surrounds: Outside 2008, Art Trail, Cuckoo Farm Studios, Aug/Sept 2008 Winter Lights 2008, Cuckoo Farm Studios (alongside Pam Schomberg) Short listed for CD:EK, Kent curatorial commission, 2010 Short Listed, Beyond the Frame, ECC, curatorial commission, 2010 Running ‘The Benham Gallery’ 2011 – Liz Lake Residency, Rachael Allen Residency, Open Studios Showcase, 2011
Talks, Interviews, Extras
Graphic designer for Lle Celf Capel y Graig 2016-present Power In The Land, book publication, 2016 Created and designed Power In The Land website powerintheland.co.uk CCQ (Culture Colony Quarterly) Magazine, online article. http://ccqmagazine.com/tim-skinner-wind-controversy/ Impressionism In A Digital Age:Tim Skinner by Jen Loffman http://www.jenloffman.com/blog/tim-skinner Butterfly Effect interview with Colchester Gazette Butterfly Effect workshops with primary s SEN school children at firstsite Butterfly Effect live talk BBC radio Essex My practice, talk, Aberystwyth School of Art. My practice, residency talk, Aberystwyth Arts Centre Kunst Nu. Online Article – Kast Et Blik Soundworks, ICA, online talk, 19th July, 2012 Wallpaper magazine in regards to ICA exhibition. 2012 Tutoring student, painting and drawing techniques. Running The Benham Gallery National Art Competition, region of the month, June 2011, Online ArtMonthly, Advert, May 2011, pg1 AN Magazine, April 2011, pg19 Headed up a cross mentoring curatorial initiative between Essex University and Cuckoo Farm Studios 2011. AN Blog, 2010 Member of firstsite artist crit group 2010 – 2012 Part of Firstsite’ Artist Support Programme. 2009 Running CFS Graduate Award Scheme 2010 Member of Cuckoo Farm Studios Events Team, 2010 Interview for Arts East magazine, 2010 Interview BBC radio Essex, for Journey To The Podium, 2010 Firstsite talk ‘cross mentoring scheme’, 2010 ‘Far Away Rhythm (two years in video)’, book publication, 2010 Cuckoo Farm Studios Committee member (webmaster/graduate award/ events 2009-2012) Ran a talk with 1st year MA art teaching students, in respect to Outside Curatorial practice, 2009 Ran a talk with BA graduates in respect to graduate scholarship at Cuckoo Farm Students, 2009 Invigilation work for Firstsite, 2009 Interview with BBC Radio Essex, 2008 Curatorial interview with EADT, 2008 Interview with Essex County Standard and EADT (East Anglian Daily Times), 2004 Featured on Echobelly’s official bands website, 2001